W-2s for Your Children Under 24 Years of Age


When filing your income taxes, make sure you bring any W-2s you have for your children. This way your tax preparer can figure out if your child should claim themselves or you should claim them. DO NOT let your children file their own tax returns, as in most cases they will claim themselves and that will create more problems. Remember if your dependent child claims themselves you can not claim them unless you amend their original return which will slow down the process of you receiving your refund. At our office, when parents come in with their child’s W-2 we do their children’s taxes at no charge. That includes children under the age of 24 who are full time students without a full time job.

Spread the word. Share this post!